Covid-19

Covid-19

Abigail Freeman, Staff Writer

As of March 10, 2020, there are 647* presumptive cases of the Coronavirus in the United States.  Twenty-five (25) people have died as a result of the virus. (*Does not include repatriated cases.)

As of March 11, 2020, there are 9 travel-acquired cases in Maryland (Montgomery, Prince George’s and Harford Counties).

https://www.howardcountymd.gov/Departments/Health/MM-Alerts-and-Recalls

A panic has taken the world by storm due to the Covid -19 virus (Coronavirus). Last night The President shut down travel to Europe as well as other countries. Some places are being quarantined completely. As a Homewood student,  I am concerned. Here is some of the information I have researched to share with you. People who have contracted Coronavirus may experience mild to severe cold or flu-like symptoms as well as coughing or shortness of breath. There is no known vaccine for Coronavirus, but one is currently in the process of being made.

All out of state Howard County field trips are being canceled, many students have expressed anger at this fact. Many of us are scared of the unknown virus. It is important to remember not to panic and most of all to wash your hands. Soap is more effective than hand sanitizer because the Covid-19 virus’s weakest link is the lipid.   Soap is more effective than hand sanitizer at breaking down lipids. So there is no need to buy that four ounce dollar bottle of hand sanitizer off of ebay for 200.00 bucks. Though you are only likely to have complications from Corona if you are older or have a pre-existing condition, it is still important for everyone to take precaution as it will prevent the spread of disease and possibly save lives.

Make sure to practice social distancing. Don’t shake hands and avoid  contact with peers. If you experience symptoms stay home from school. The recommended self quarantine time is two weeks.

Most of all do not panic, and keep a cool head. This will be the best thing we can do at Homewood until we get the situation under control in order to keep our community safe and healthy.